7.4.10

Mmmmm Books.

(Not to be confused with the 90s song from those girlie-boys, “Mmmm Bop”)

books

Yesterday was a lovely day for books. A trip to the library both reminded me why I should go more often AND why I don’t – I stumbled upon things I wouldn’t find browsing online, but the books I actually searched for were all at far away branches which would require a $2 transfer fee & generally results in my being $2 out-of-pocket AND bookless, because by the time they send me out a letter saying the book is in, I’m reading something else & promptly forget about the letter, then the next time I go in I’m told the book was sent back a month ago & that will be another $2 for no reason, please….

I digress.

Anywho, so I got a bunch of lovely books from the library & returned home to a satisfyingly weighty parcel which contained The Crafty Minx. Will tell you what I think of it when I get a chance to look through it properly… right now I am a little too engrossed in Eats, Shoots & Leaves… which is packed full of interesting facts & amazing examples of punctuation that I forget the minute I read, but I feel somehow enlightened all the same…

6 comments:

  1. i love my library too, but we have some similar love-hate relationship for the same reasons as you. Why list books in a computer catalogue WHICH ARENT ON THE SHELF? enough rant. x Tracey (thrift.nest.sew)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I remember when I used to have time to read. Now I just have an evergrowing pile of books on my bedside table aspiring to reach the ceiling. And I'm sorry, but "Eats shoots and leaves" is pretty darn close to the punchline of a dirty joke I heard at University so I'd be giggling everytime I looked at it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been tempted by The Crafty Minx but fearful of yet another craft book unattempted in my bookcase...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eats, Shoots and Leaves is a doozy. I can't for the life of me believe I gave my copy away. I have regretted it for at least three years now. Mainly because I forgot everything the excellent Ms Truss told me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I love the library too,but me looking at books always winds up being gazumped by the smalls roaring around the library.

    Sounds like a great visit though, and what is with that transfer fee, I get hit up too. Stinks!

    I still need to read Eats, Shoots and Leaves - an ex boyf gave it to me and I still haven't gotten around to it. SO BAD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so dodgy- different librarys obviously have different systems, I think ours is called 'swift' and we have access to loads and loads of other Victoria library and NO transfer fee- $2 is abit steep I reckon. I love out library, I hear about a good book, look it up and order it to my local library branch on line and go in to get it when they tell me it's there. No fee, bit of waiting sometimes but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete

Let's have a chat. And a biscuit. And some tea. And another biscuit.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin